Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Bottle Worries

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so I am seriously about to have a nervous brake-down. I go back to work (part-time) in a week and my little stinker of a daughter has decided that she won't take a bottle anymore! I don't get it, she used to take a bottle without putting up a fuss, and then like a month ago, she decided that she wasn't going to have a thing to do with the bottle anymore.


I know what you all are thinking, how can a baby so cute innocent looking decide to do this? I really don't get it because my poor mom has been coming over every day to help Morgan practice taking a bottle. I feel awful because once Morgan sees the bottle, she starts crying. Then when the bottle is placed in her mouth, she gags and then starts crying hysterically. She gets herself so mad that she starts kicking and batting the bottle away, and the thing is, she is hungry. She is just so dang feisty and stubborn to give in. (She must get her temper from her father). ;) Morgan has put up this fight for longer than an hour before she finally gave in and took some of the bottle. I feel bad for my mom because Morgan now associates her with the bottle and cries when she sees her (even if she doesn't have the bottle). My pediatrician told me that I couldn't be the one to give her the bottle, and if any of you know my husband, he isn't the most patient person. He feels awful letting her cry so hard and then he gives in to her and then walks upstairs and hands her to me. We have found out that she will not take my milk out of a bottle and have had better luck with formula...?Weird. I have tried every make of bottle and I am seriously out of ideas. So if anyone can help, I definitely need it cause I don't want my babysitters to have to put up with her non-stop screaming. I wake up in the middle of the night with anxiety because I am afraid that my babysitters won't want to watch her anymore cause she is so naughty.

8 comments:

mccall said...

NAUGHTY Morgie! She's a little turkey. She won't take a bottle from me, only Mom that once. It's because she knows you're planning on going back to work soon and this is her way of telling you NO! Hopefully she'll get the hang of it. Mom and I will work with her tonight. Love you both!

caitlin and brinton said...

Oh my gosh- that is so sad! I hope she gets over it! She's probably just trying to test the waters and see what she can get away with - which is she's anything like my sister's daughter, she'll get away with ANYTHING!
I know we say this every time... but LETS PLAN SOMETHING and do it! I hope Morgan's blessing went well, I heard it was lovely.

Mumsy said...

What kind of bottle are you using? I would try a few different kinds and see which one works.

There's a bunch of tricks you can use--not that they will necessarily work.

Fritz refused the bottle and Lilly would only take the bottle and refused to nurse.

Try giving her a bath first and rubbing her down with lotion and then offering the bottle before she gets super hungry or upset.

OR, you can do what happened to one of my friends--her baby wouldn't eat during the day at all when she was at work, so she stayed up all night and fed her. (I really hope that doesn't happen.)

You will both figure it out. I have found that the baby really picks up on my anxiety and makes whatever I'm trying to do that much harder.

I feel for you though. When I was in the hospital, Betta wouldn't drink a bottle at all. She had before that--even from me.

Celeste said...

k, this is probably going to be TMI, but whatev. So, I had an inverted nipple, and had to use a plastic shield to kinda get it going. I was only supposed to use it until the sucker popped out, but it was so much less painful that I stuck with it. So Sawyer was used to the plastic-y feel and she didn't blink once at switching to a bottle. I dunno. They're kinda spendy, but I am a fan. They have 'em at target.

The Neilson Family said...

Oh girl, I've been right there with you! Spence used to LOVE bottles and all of the sudden he BAM - flipped the switch. It was right around the time he started becoming more aware of surroundings, etc. It helped a ton that Jed started practicing with him after that otherwise seeing mama give him something other than...you know what...made my boy so confused. May not help but yay if it does! Oh, and sometimes the mom even needs to leave the room. Go figure! So - go shopping or something and wish your hubby good luck! ...but take your cell phone. :)

Oh, and try to not stop trying. May take several times. She's going from a nice soft - you know what - to a hard plastic thing. Yuck!

Valarie said...

Oh, I feel so bad for you! As if going back to work isn't hard enough right!?!

Andrea said...

Oh Missy I wished that I had some super incredible advice...but it may be a bit rough going for the babysitter for a short time, but trust me, eventually she will have to be hungry enough to eat at some point, so its just going to have to suck for awhile. It will all be fine in the end. Sorry..hang in there!

Emily said...

Ok so I know you said you have tried every bottle but what kind of binki does she take (if she even takes one)? Because Bella would only take soothie bottles and that is the kind of binki she has. Try that and good luck I hope it gets better soon!